Monday, November 30, 2009

A Series on Cultural Identity: The Intro

For my Language and Culture Community Leadership class we had to make a Culture Notebook. A notebook containing eight to ten artifacts that represented our Culture identity and a introduction/summary of what the culture notebook had in it and themes of our identity. I am posting them here in the entirety as a series of post over the next few days/maybe all tonight, counts on how frisky I feel. 

Here is my Introduction:

A PLACE TO BEGIN

This Assignment has been one of the hardest assignments I have had all year. Why, Might you ask? It is because I have never felt I had much of a culture identity, when asked I could give you the normal stats, I am a Caucasian (I am still confused as why we are called Caucasian while those of who are actual of the Caucasian Mountains are more often than not consisted Middle Eastern, or Asian); I am a female, I live in the south eastern US (affectingly called the South), and  I have an British Isle, German, Dutch, Italian, French, and Greek descent linage. After all this is what the United States government uses to identify your culture identity on every standardize test you take through all your schooling. If asked that until the last two/three years, I would say that was my culture identity. In the last two or three years, I learned that while that is my ‘culture birthplace, I strayed a far away from that, between my birth and then, and maybe because of my parents background in other cultures, that ‘identifying was like identifying where my ancestor lived centuries ago and saying that was where I was now. Now, my culture identity is identified as my identity, if you want it you are going to have to stick about and see who I am, because it’s the only way to figure out what I am. The theme of my culture identity notebook is confusion, blending, and stories of lives brought together by the American dream. It is very possibly my only culture identity, that of an American, a child born of the blending of the cultures, races, and ideals. My identity both socially, mentally and apparently culturally are created by the blending of cultures created by the people whose lives have interacted with mine and shaped who I have become.

No comments:

Post a Comment