“Wear Silver to blind the demons of you, Iron to keep the fey at bay, and Gold to be watched by Angels above:” My very bad translation of a family superstition. I am superstitious, seems a little too ‘uneducated’ to be part of culture, but it is in my opinion it is an important part of people’s day to day culture. When I lose something that I find it in a place I knew it was not before, I live a small cap of milk outside my house for the fairies whatever they may be called. I wear iron and silver more times than not from my family’s adage. I pray for my food whose death was done for my benefit to find happiness in the next ‘whatever’ (my grandmother swears it from my great-great-great grandmother who was part native American and we never had problems with food in tough times because of it). I have always held the idea that while it may seem strange, I know for a fact stranger things are out there, and maybe just maybe there is truth, and reason and rhyme to why people taught this through generation, and I am not one to take chances with the powers that be. I included it because my attitude towards some things, which fall under being superstitious, is maybe the strongest sense of my familial culture background, as it shows my large ‘blood’ background in Irish, and the other Isles of Brittany; and also of my family’s background in Germany, France, and Sicilia.
No comments:
Post a Comment